California Workers Compensation: Can You Choose Any Doctor to Treat Your Injury?

If you’ve been injured on the job in California, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. As the founder of West Coast Workers Compensation (WCWCA), Brittany Huynh understands the importance of choosing the right primary treating physician (PTP) for your workers’ compensation claim. With her expertise and experience in the field, she has helped many injured workers in California get the compensation and medical care they deserve.

Under the California workers’ compensation system, you have the right to choose your own PTP (Primary Treating Physician) if your employer does not have a Medical Provider Network (MPN). If your employer has an MPN, you must choose a doctor from the network. It’s important to note that the PTP you choose can have a significant impact on your workers’ compensation claim.

For example, if your injury is not properly diagnosed or treated, you may not recover as quickly as you should. This can result in a longer recovery period, more time off work, and higher medical expenses. On the other hand, if you choose a PTP who is experienced in treating work-related injuries and who is familiar with the workers’ compensation system, you’re more likely to receive the proper treatment and care you need to recover. A carefully chosen PTP will have sufficient knowledge and a good staff to complete proper paperwork and process treatment requests properly.  This is crucial in providing care to injured workers.

In addition, choosing the right PTP can also affect the outcome of your workers’ compensation claim. The PTP’s medical reports and opinions will be used to determine the extent of your injury and the amount of compensation you’re entitled to receive. If your PTP is not familiar with the workers’ compensation system, or is not experienced in treating work-related injuries, they may not provide the necessary information to support your claim. Additionally, PTP will not understand how to fight for treatment authorizations on your behalf.

If disputes arise over the extent of your disability, you may need an evaluation from a Qualified Medical Evaluator (QME) or a Medical-Legal Evaluator (MLE). A QME is an independent physician certified by the state of California to perform medical evaluations in workers’ compensation cases. An MLE is a medical evaluation used to resolve disputes over the extent of your disability. It’s important to have an experienced attorney to help you choose the right evaluator, and to ensure that you receive a fair evaluation and the compensation you’re entitled to.

Choosing the right PTP and navigating the workers’ compensation system can be complicated. That’s why it’s essential to have the right representation to ensure that you receive the benefits you’re entitled to.

At WCWA, we understand how stressful and overwhelming a work injury can be. That’s why we offer personalized legal services tailored to your unique needs. If you just suffered and injury at work, and wondering what’s next, download our free checklist to make sure you don’t miss a thing. Whether you need help choosing a PTP or appealing a denied claim, we’re here to help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with Brittany Huynh and learn more about how we can assist you with your workers’ compensation claim.